I Think Therefore I Am Philosophical Cow
- Regular price
- $ 99.99 USD
- Regular price
- Sale price
- $ 99.99 USD
- Unit price
Who needs Descarte when you can have your very own I Think Therefore I Am Philosophical Cow Canvas Print?
The quote, 'I think, therefore I am' is an english translation of the French phrase je pense, donc je suis which originally appeared in Rene Descartes philosophical treatise 'Discourse on the Method' in 1637.
He actually chose to use French, rather then Latin in this work in order to reach a wider audience.
The latin equivalent, 'Cogito, ergo sum', which most of us are more familiar with (then the French version at least), was later used in his book 'Principles of Philosophy' which was published in 1644.
It is also sometimes simply known as 'the cogito'.
(I wonder if at some stage some bright spark will shorten that again to 'the cog'?)
It has become a key tenet of Western Philosophy, because it purports to show a secure foundation for knowledge, even in the face of radical doubt.
His intent with the phrase has been more accurately summed up as 'I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am', as the doubt is critical.
If you can doubt who you are, then you must exist. That is his contention.
(And no doubt the Philosophical Cows! Because he is a deep, deep, deep bovine!)
One criticism levelled at the idea is that it seems to presuppose an 'I' who is is doing the thinking, while perhaps all that is actually being shown is that thinking is occurring.
Who is doing that thinking is up for debate.
(My vote goes to the cow! IT'S THE COW!!!!)
Like many great ideas, we have latched onto Descarte because he summed up his thesis in a cosy soundbite that wouldn't look out of place on a TV commercial.
But the idea actually predated him by several thousand years, even in philosophical terms.
Plato alluded to it, and Aristotle had the following explanation in the Nicomachean Ethics:
"But if life itself is good and pleasant…and if one who sees is conscious that he sees, one who hears that he hears, one who walks that he walks and similarly for all the other human activities there is a faculty that is conscious of their exercise, so that whenever we perceive, we are conscious that we perceive, and whenever we think, we are conscious that we think, and to be conscious that we are perceiving or thinking is to be conscious that we exist..."
But Rene was elegant.
And Rene went deep.
And all of us like an obsessive, when the object of their obsessions seems to drill a bore hole down into truth, rather than glibly sailing on the surface.
So, it's right that Descarte gets a lot of credit.
Regardless, our Cow friend (I have a strong, strong feeling that his name is 'Fred') digs him.
Gotta love fake philosophy tattoos (in white with hearts) all over your body!
We think that Rene would be very, very proud to have our magnificent cow quoting him (or is he debating him?) on our beautiful canvas hundreds of years later!
Look into his eye... He Exists... He Thinks... He is watching you...
- High Quality - Printed on high quality, artist grade stock
- Ready to Hang - Folded around a lightweight frame to give them a gorgeous, gallery ready appearance and ready to hang immediately. No need to spend a fortune having them framed! All our canvases come ready to hang as soon as they arrive at your door.
- Built to Last - Printed with acid free ink that will last without fading or chipping,
- UV Technology - Features a scratch-resistant UV coating.
- Easy to Clean - Wipes clean easily with a damp cloth or to remove dust, vacuum gently using a soft brush attachment.
- Stays Firm - Fabricated to stay taut and flat.
- Canvas Prints shipped from the US come with a hard sealed backing and hanging hardware for an effortless install.
- Canvas Prints shipped outside the US come with an open back and are ready to hang with a sawtooth hanger for an effortless install.
- So, you will have NO EXTRA CHARGES TO HAVE YOUR ART FRAMED! It comes ready to hang.
(See the pictures for examples of both)
- Thickness - The thickness of the canvas wrap frame on your print is 1.25 inches (so your art really stands out from whatever angle you look at it on your walls!)
- Canvas Love - We only use the finest artist-grade poly-cotton blend canvas to ensure lasting quality for your art.
- Ink and Printing Love - We use superior eight-pass pigment-based inkjet printing, which uses archival inks designed to hold up over time without fading. We care as much as you do about the quality of our prints.
- Frame Love - The wood in the frame and stretcher is constructed of 100% renewable wood.
- Packaging Love - We lovingly package our canvas prints to ensure that they arrive just the way we packed them.
- Local Production - We have local handcrafted production for the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and Mexico, so that your order will ship from within the same country as you order (ensuring both that we support local producers and that shipping times are reduced).
- Worldwide shipping - Orders to countries outside those five will ship from the USA.
- Made-to-Order Just for You! - All of our artwork is made-to-order. This means that we can offer works of art that you won't find anywhere else!